7.17.2012

"Magical Pregnancy Smoothie"

When the sight and smell of ground beef makes you vomit and your usual favorite lunch makes your throat close up and sends you hurling for the porcelain throne, never fear! After throwing myself pitifully over the couch for a week in much dispair that "this will ever go away, I'm going to be sick my entire pregnancy I just know it!" (Yes, I know a bit dramatic), I decided that not just one thing was going to cure me so I was going to try ALL things together! How you ask? Well, let me introduce you to the Magical Pregnancy Smoothie!


...Oh and let's not forget my morning sickness comes with a delightful side of heartburn. YAY! So between being unable to stomach most foods and then being AFRAID to eat anything that may also flare up some heartburn from heck, needless to say my body was not getting the nutrients it needs as well as what my little baby needs. With that feeling that everything in your stomach (or even when theres nothing in it) is sitting between your throat and the middle of your  chest sometimes it feel the lesser of two evils is to not eat at all. Horrible decision, for bother you and baby. Because morning sickness is often intensified because of nutrition deficiency. Empty hurry tummy, horrific heartburn, miserable morning "all day" sickness make for one less that happy or useful wife. So I made up my mind to find a solution for my morning sickness, prevention of heartburn and HUNGER.


Everything in this smoothie is nutritious, healthy and full of good things both mommy and baby need to store up on. Quite possibly the best part is that it is gentle on your very sensitive tummy, easy to drink and has all the the suggested remedies that could possibly relieve morning sickness and heartburn. Oh and did I mention that it is soooooooo yummy?


"Magical Pregnancy Smoothie" 
(4 servings, usually eyeball things but I'll try to give measurements)


1 1/2 c. Vanilla Yogurt: Good source of calcium and gentle on your stomach


1/2c. Coconut Milk: Soothes the acid in your stomach and eases digestion (heartburn), helps maintain blood sugar ( which is a huge leading cause in morning sickness!), also makes you feel full because of high concentrations of dietary fiber :)


1 Banana: morning sickness/ good source of potassium


1 Mango: Vitamin C and A, morning sickness


1-2 c. Strawberries: Yummy :)


? Honey: I use honey because it is a natural sweetener. Soothes heartburn and helps nausea.


Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice: Vitamin C, helps nausea.


1tsp Fresh grated GINGER: Ginger products are often given as a remedy for morning sickness/nausea. I believe this is a key ingredient and is SO worth it. Aside from this smoothie I live on Ginger Snaps and Ginger Ale.


*3 Handfuls Fresh Spinach: Don't wimp out here! You can't even taste it! It is sooooooooo good for you, full of IRON! Which can be a huge deficiency in pregnant women. It also has the vitamin B6 in it, which doctors often suggest to take to help nausea.


2c. Milk: Calcium ( add as much as you want to determine the thickness you want.)


*You probably got to the spinach and said ewwwwww but just trust me! Yeah sure it changes your lovely pink smoothie into a less lovely neutral color but when you have one long enough with feeling miserable, the color is irrelevant!


Now, can I vouch for any ONE ingredient that is the magical cure? Nope! But I can tell you that I created this smoothie at 830pm and by 930pm I was able to lay down and sleep like a baby...pun intended :P Ive not had many problems since; no, the nausea is not totally gone but I believe this smoothie is the reason I'm able to feel so much better and function! Thats why I call it the magical smoothie! I'm able to feel like I'm actually getting the nutrition I need to feel better. I make a huge blender full in the morning and drink it all through the day!


Go and conquer your baby sickness!


*slurp slurp*


~Blessings~
Mommy of One

1 comment:

  1. Oh that sounds awesome! We actually had a smoothie pretty close to that this afternoon. Isn't the coconut milk amazing?!? I would put way more in except David isn't a big fan. But I love it. I'll have to add ginger next time, just because it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete